Saturday, June 26, 2010

Small Flower

When I started this top I searched the Internet far and wide for simple flower patterns. But wherever I went, it seemed like most of the patterns for crochet flowers were for bigger yarn and were often more textural, having multiple layers like Irish crochet roses. I love Irish crochet roses, but I wanted flat things for this garment. When I couldn't find anything I just dove in and started creating my own. After all, I wanted simple, very round, wheel-like flowers, so how hard could it be? Not too hard, it turns out.

Here's one design that I like quite a bit. With size 10 cotton and a 1.65mm hook, it's about 1.5" across when finished.

Small Flower
Rnd 1: Ch 6, sl st in first ch to form ring, ch 1, 12 sc in ring, join with sl st in beg sc, ch 1
Rnd 2: 2 dc in each of next 12 sc, join with sl st into beg sc
Rnd 3: Ch 6, (sk 1 sc, sc in next sc, ch 3) around, join with sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-6
Rnd 4: (Hdc, dc, hdc in next ch space, sl st into next dc) around, fasten off

The petals tend to curl in on themselves while I work, but since this is cotton I just pull on each petal when I'm done to make them look like the photo. I love that about cotton. It's so "blockable."

No comments:

Post a Comment